taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hi there I recently accepted a new job offer in writing

Hi there
I recently accepted a new job offer in writing by signing and returning a letter of acceptance to the employment terms and conditions.
I have since decided i want to stay with my current employer, and wondered if there were any legal impactions in me doing this? I haven't received or signed a contract for the new employer as yet.
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. When was the new job due to start and is the employer likely to suffer a financial loss as a result of you doing this? I.e. have you been given any training or any other expenses incurred by the prospective new employer?

Customer:

Hi Jenny, Thank you for getting in touch so quick. I am due to start my new job on 1st October. There should be no financial loss to the employer as a result of this as I am coming in following growth of the company and not as a replacement for another member of staff. There has been no contact to references from my application as of yet as I have not yet given them permission and I am not due to discuss my formal employee rights etc until a few days before I start.

taratill :

HI this kind of thing happens all the time. As you have not signed a contract and they have not suffered any loss there is no legal action they can take against you at this stage for changing your mind.

taratill :

I hope that this puts your mind at rest and all the best for the future.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you.

Customer:

Thanks so much Jenny. I was worried about the implications but apart from them possibly being annoyed that puts my mind at rest.