taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hi, Ive got a problem and I was hoping that maybe you could

Hi, I've got a problem and I was hoping that maybe you could give me your oppinion on this matter.
I've been self employed for the last 9 years and been working as a subcontractor in an english building company since 2008.
In october last year my boss from that company asked me if i would be interested in getting a gas certificate and I said okay
although i didn't sign any documents whatsoever. For 4 weeks I was traveling by train to a city 90 miles from where i lived,
studying every day and doing everything I could to make it work. I finished the course and passed the first exam which i believe was
to make sure i learned everything properly during those 4 weeks. This is where the problems started, I was supposed to get a mentor
and do 30 gas related jobs under the supervision of someone experienced in that field in order to be able to enter the main exam.
My boss didn't want to accept any of the mentors i found and after a while he found one on his own, in Scotland 180 miles from where i lived, i was supposed to go there for a week and get these 30 jobs done but when i got there it turned out i was only able to only finish 2 of them which wasn't up to me but up to the company that my boss sent me to and what jobs they got in that time. After I came back from Scotland it was quiet until the August this year which was the time when my boss decided that i should go back to Scotland to finish the rest of 28 jobs, he also signed me up for the main exam without my consent ignoring the fact that I'm not ready and i don't meet the requirements to enter the exam (30 jobs with a mentor). He also threatned me that if I don't pass the exam I'm going have to pay everything he spent on this training back which is around 5thousand pounds and told me that if I wouldn't do that he will resort to physical violence. I'm kindly asking for an advice in this matter, I'd like to know if I can just quit my job without any legal consequences, this job is causing me a lot of discomfort and stress, I can no longer work like this. I would greatly appreciate your input on this one, thanks.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Your boss sounds awful! Can you tell me if you signed any paperwork to say you would repay the money if you left?

Customer:

No.. I haven't sign anything..

taratill :

Hi in that case the employer cannot do anything if you do decide to leave., they have no right to recalim your training costs. If they do attempt to deduct them it amounts to an unlawful deduction from wages and you would be able to reclaim them in the employment tribunal.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

Thanks. And if fox example I sign anything by mistake? Or if my employer counterfeited my signature?

taratill :

Well if there is a signature to say you will repay it then the employer could take you to court. If it is a forged signature then you will have to give evidence that you did not sign it.

Customer:

Okay, thank you. :)

taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters