taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

i have work for a socail club for 8 years now and have always

i have work for a socail club for 8 years now and have always been payed double time for working bank holidays i have never had a contract but since the day i started was told we get double time.i work on Monday the 25th of august and on my wage slip was payed normal time i have ask the accounts lady why this is and she said that the chairman had told her there not paying it any more other then christmas we have not had any thing in righting and would like to no if they can do that .the club is run by a committe and it wasnt put to a vote so am acting on behalf of the works to find out if any thing can be done.
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Even though you do not have a written contract you are contractually entitled to receive double time on bank holidays through custom and practice and your employer cannot change this without giving you formal notice.

taratill :

You should therefore have received double time and it amounts to an unlawful deduction from wages that you were not.

taratill :

You should write to explain this to your employer and say if you are not paid you will have no alternative but to bring a claim in the Employment Tribunal for the unlawful deduction.

taratill :

Hopefully they will then pay you. If they do not you can raise a claim at www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk

taratill :

You cannot be disciplined or dismissed for raising the complaint.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

taratill :

If there is anything else you would like to know about this please let me know.

Customer:

thank you so much for your help i can now take the right action to sort this out for myself and the rest of the workers

Customer:

how much notice do they have to give to there employers if they are to stop double time and if we have to work bank holidays are we entitilled to day off in loo