taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hi there I work for a quoted company, and would like some

Hi there
I work for a quoted company, and would like some general advice on a small problem I have with my immediate boss.
Apart from the fact that he's a nasty piece of work, and desperate to dominate, this particular problem relates to statutory holiday.
The person in question, seems to be able to take as many days off as they please. We're not talking the odd day over the quota, we're talking 20-30 days over sometimes, without being pulled up.
My problem is that it's now making it impossible to spend time with my family, during term breaks, the person is blatantly taking every school break, and leaving me high and dry.
The firm is very male dominated, and apart from going through HR (which I feel is dominated by the senior management) do you have any other suggestions, without total alienation.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

taratill :

Are you a woman?

Customer:

I'm not actually...

taratill :

Ok I just wondered due to the fact that you mentioned that the environment is male dominated.

taratill :

Why are you reluctant to raise this with HR?

taratill :

and how long have you worked there for?

Customer:

HR is dominated by the bosses. You wouldn't believe some of the things that have gone on over the years...

Customer:

Regardless, I have worked there for 18 years...

Customer:

I work on a Trading floor...

taratill :

Ok thanks, ***** ***** you actually being prevented from taking annual leave due to this manager?

Customer:

Now that I have family of school age, yes....The forth coming half term for instance has been booked off by him, for a total of 2 weeks..I miss out as we work in a team of two, and he gets yet another holiday with his family...

Customer:

During the summer, he books off Golf days, Cricket days every other week so its difficult to get a free week....

taratill :

So is he booking this time ages in advance? Have you raised this issue informally?

Customer:

With him? Yes, I stuck it on him this time, as enough is enough...I told him that its completely off side. The holiday charts, are not overlooked these days as they once were. They're merely a large desk diary, and people are meant to be mature enough, as not to abuse it... What he does, is books things in advance, keeps them to himself, and writes them in last minute. It's impossible to manage him...

taratill :

ok so in fact you have booked time out in the diary and he has subsequently told you that you can't take the time due to his prior arrangements (which are not written in the diary?)

Customer:

I ask him in advance we need to sort out half term. As in you have one week, and I have the other. I say please lets get the dates, so we can sit down and plan it properly. I ask him for weeks, and then he tells me he's booked both weeks, and sorry I booked it all last year...

Customer:

It's a nonsense ....

Customer:

He's a known offender, as years ago he was docked some bonus money for taking so much time off. Yet, the bosses do nothing....

taratill :

ok have you raised this with anyone else?

Customer:

It's all a big joke...

Customer:

I'm trying to leak it out there to his lest favourite fans...

Customer:

We're part of a larger group, and wondered about taking it up with HR at head office. But, once that happens, I suspect they'll be a full audit, and it won't take a genius to find out who started the ball rolling...

Customer:

Sorry any of this is sounding whiny....

taratill :

Ok from a legal point of view it is difficult to see what you can do without raising a formal grievance via HR. You should raise a grievance that this is resulting in a breach of trust and confidence and a breach of the Working Time Regulations. You should hightlight that given that schools are now not legally allowed to authorise holiday outside of school holidays it results in you not being able to take family time and that this is affecting you badly. You should inform your employer that this is causing you a good deal of stress and if it is not resolved in a satisfactory manner then you will have to consider your options.

taratill :

There is no problem with you raising it at a higher level particuarly if your first attempt fails. You are right to whine! I would if this was happening to me.

taratill :

It is clearly unacceptable and if it is not resolved you may have a claim against the employer.

Customer:

Pretty much as I thought then. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet...

Customer:

Thanks for the heads up.

taratill :

Yes I really think you should raise this formally. You need to sort it out and your employer should support you. If they do not then you will have a claim.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

Thanks Tara.

taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters