taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

My granddaughter is just turned 17. She has been employed at

My granddaughter is just turned 17. She has been employed at a nursery for one week although she has volunteered there for 3 weeks previously. Because of a change in criteria for completing the Level 3 Child Care course which she needed to start this September it has been decided that she will now go back to college full time next week.
She handed her notice in this morning stating the reasons why she had no alternative but to do this. Her manager was not happy with what she had written in her notice (her mother had advised her on what to write). Her manager made her rewrite the letter and told her what to put. Is she lawfully allowed to do this? Is this a from of bullying?
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** i am happy to help you today. What was she asked to write in the letter?

Customer:

Not sure as I obviously did not see it

taratill :

Ok but does this impact on her in anyway? I understand it is not desirable but does it result in a loss of notice or anything like that?

Customer:

What do you mean loss of notice? Surely she cannot change what was written to suit herself. Her manager said that everything she had written was untrue so she was to rewrite it. She felt pressured into writing that she felt she would not be able to cope with what she was being asked to do

taratill :

\ok but in the original notice did she say bad things about the employer?

Customer:

No she just stated the facts that the nursery had not been able to provide her with the complete course. So she had no alternative but to go back to college full time or she would not achieve her required qualification. It was polite and just stated the reasons

taratill :

Ok in that case it is completely unreasonable for them to have asked her to change the wording. I suspect that it is because they do not want to have a bad name or to get a bad reputation as a result of this. Legally there is no action she can take against them if she does not suffer a loss but there is no harm in her writing to complain both to them and the college.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If i have answered your question i would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

That,s what we thought. We are not proposing to take any action just needed to know the facts.

Customer:

Also she is trying to make her do 3 weeks notice. I understood that the Employment Rights Act 1996 says that if an employee is employed for 1 month but less than 2 years one weeks notice is applicable She has only been there 1 week!!!!

taratill :

Hi as she has been there less than a month there is no legal notice requirement so she can leave imediately. She will not be entitled to pay if she does though.

Customer:

Did you receive my question?

taratill :

Hi is this another question. I have just said she does not legally have to work any notice as she has been there for less than a month.

Customer:

Thank you. It was slow coming through. I have just received it. Thank you for your help. That is all.