taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

During my two years as team leader my salary has increased

During my two years as team leader my salary has increased by £5500 in total (including £2000 after promotion to team leader).
During that time the company introduced a capped salary for my new role, which is £5000 lower than my current salary.
Can the company legally take those previous pay rises as well as the money for team leader promotion off my current salary?
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

Hi, I have worked for the company for 7 years. 2 years ago I was promoted to the team leader position.

taratill :

Is your employer proposing to cut your salary?

Customer:

They are checking the possibility of this with the headquarter in the USA.

taratill :

HI they are not entitled to unilaterally vary your contract in this way. They could attempt to give notice of a change in terms and conditions to reduce your salary but you have the right to say that a reduction is unreasonable in the cirumstances and you do not accept the new terms.

taratill :

Ultimately if they deduct without notice you will be able to bring a claim of unlawful deduction from salary. If they give notice of a change in terms and conditions then if you do not agree with them you could bring an unfair dismissal claim.

taratill :

It is more common for an employer to ringfence a salary in these circumstances and to say that no further payrises will be awarded until you are within the correct capped salary.

Customer:

Ok, many thanks. I had already thought that they would need to cancel my old contract and offer a new one for the new position. Just the salary detail was of course an unknown detail.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best>

Customer:

Many thanks for your help. The rating will follow now. :)