taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Default retirement age 2011. I am 73 and have worked as a part

Default retirement age 2011. I am 73 and have worked as a part time lecturer continuously for over 15 years and was classified as a permanent part time employee. In 2011 my University employer asked me to resign under the new DRA regulations. I appealed and we reached a compromise where I agreed to resign from 31 July 2011 but I would receive further reduced employment after an interval of 8 weeks. I signed a resignation form on 21 July. In the event my work could not be replaced and I was re-employed on exactly the same basis as before with no reduction. As a part time lecturer the appointment and schedule of work is confirmed each year in September (16th); the letter, schedule and hours were identical for 2011-12 as for 2010-11. In August 2011 I marked resit exam papers as usual and there were no changes in my employment and this has continued up to now. The university is now offering redundancy. The redundancy pay offer is based on three years, back September 2011, whereas I am arguing it should be back based on 15 years. I believe that by re-employing me on the identical conditions in September 2011 ie for more than six months, the DRA regulations were broken and therefore my continuing employment is 15 years. *****@******.***
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Was there a break in your employment before you started the in September 2011?

Customer:

The compromise plan was that I would do nothing for 8 weeks from 31 July 2011. However this is a quiet period and normally the only work is to mark resit exam papers in mid August. I was asked to do this in the normal manner and did so. So in fact I worked the 8 week "break" as normal. I have email evidence to support this. Therefore while the original intention was for a break, in practice, I believe the answer is No. Therefore before and after the "agreement" my work remained unchanged.

taratill :

Did you receive a payout and sign a compromise agreement at the time though?

Customer:

No. Under the DRA the employer was allowed to make employees aged 65 or over redundant without redundancy pay. I received nothing at all no redundancy or notice pay. I recall that this was only allowed if the same work was offered for a further six months or less. My work has continued for much longer than six months.

taratill :

hi no problem I was just checking what you meant by the word 'agreement' earlier. On the basis of what you say your continuous employment should be based on your entire employment. If you can evidence that there was no break in service and the 2 roles are the same then you will be able to demonstrate in a tribunal that continuous employment should be based on the entire employment.

taratill :

I would suggest that in the first instance you raise a grievance to the employer to state that you are entitled to 15 years redudnancy pay and if you are not paid it you will bring a claim in the employment tribunal to recover the amount you are entitled to .

taratill :

Hopefully you will not need to claim but if you do you will find the form at www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters