taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I worked as a cleaner for 4 days and my employer dismissed

I worked as a cleaner for 4 days and my employer dismissed me (by email, no proper procedure) for leaving my shift early (I left early as I started early).
Do I have any redress?
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Do you think that you have been discriminated against in this decision on the basis of your age, race, sex, religion,pregnancy or disability or for raising a health and safety or other complaint?

Customer: not really - he just emailed me and said he had no more hours for me as I had left my shift early, it just seems a bit extreme and no disciplinary meeting was held
taratill :

why did you leave your shift early?

Customer: I started early.
Customer: But isn't there also an issue of not conducting a proper disciplinary interview?
taratill :

Unfortunately not, this is not a requirement until you have been employed for 2 years. Uk employment law does not allow a person to claim unfiar dismissal until they have been employed for at least 2 years so no disciplinary procedure is actually reqiuired in that period. The only possible claim would be of discrimination and this does not seem to apply here.

Customer: He just sacked me by email. I did all my work and hours required
taratill :

i am really sorry that this is the case.

taratill :

You are obviously entitled to pay for your hours.

taratill :

It is a fundamental weakness of employment law from the point of view of the employee.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask, If I have answered your question I would be grateful if I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best for the future.

Customer: Is there a common law issue of not being treated reasonably and fairly which I can pursue as opposed to a redress thru a tribunal which I know I cannot access as I have worked at this job for long enough?
taratill :

Sadly not, employment law through the tribunal is the only law relevant to the employment relationship. I'm really sorry about that.

Customer: ok - last question and I'll go and lick my wounds -
Customer: i was unaware that I could be sacked without a proper disciplinary procedure being followed - so could work for someone for a year and he can sack me by text, but after 2 years would have to follow a correct procedure?
taratill :

Yes a correct procedure would need to be followed after 2 years. Many employers will follow one before this but many also take advantage of the fact that there is no right to claim unfair dismissal in the first 2 years of employment.

taratill :

I would be grateful if you would now take the time to rate my answer. I will be happy to answer any follow on questions you may have.

taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters