taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

My son has been an agricultural worker all of his working life,

My son has been an agricultural worker all of his working life, up until april this year his boss paid him cash in hand but when he and his family moved into a new house they tried to, claim tax credits and housing benefit only to be turned down because he earned to much, he only takes home £280 a week, my daughter inlaw asked if they could have his wage slips but had to nag to get them when they got his p60 plus his p45 as he left ,they found that nothing added up when he asked for an explanation mr hunt the employer said that every thing was correct but the tax office told my son that he was taking home around £400 a week but he didnt where can he go for help as we think that there is a discrepancy with his money but he only has wage slips from april this year up to august when he left and the only money that goes in from mr hunt is 280
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long ago did your son leave his employment?

Customer:

He left august 14 2014

taratill :

If he has informed HMRC of the issue what is his worry about this situation?

Customer:

They said there is nothing they can do but mr hunt has been using my sons name national insurance number to cash in hand to another person

taratill :

So have you reported him to HMRC?

Customer:

No we have only just found out through a friend of mine what do we do now

taratill :

This website gives details of a hotline you can contact to report them http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tax-evasion/hotline-sections.htm

Customer:

Hes only been having wage slips from april this year before thst he was paid cash in hand hes kept record of everything would they be able to use them as well

taratill :

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by that do you mean will HMRC be able to use his handwritten records? Do you mean in respect of his NI payments?

Customer:

Yes

taratill :

Hi you will need to speak to HMRC about that. I would imagine if it is the employer's wrongdoing they will accept his records and credit him.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help can I come back to you if I need to

taratill :

No problem, and please do , hope that you sort this out for your son. I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Many thanks