29905560

An employee of mine (receiver) received an email joke email

An employee of mine (receiver) received an email joke email from a colleague of his which was mocking recent my promotion announcement with a fake/humorus picture of me. I asked the receiver not to forward to anyone as I did not like it. Some time later me and another employee saw him with the email and picture open on his desk monitor with other team members sitting next to him. I took offense and sent him an email asking him: "Can you please confirm that you delete this joke from your inbox. It's not appropriate to have this open in front of others in the office." I also included the original sender of the joke and the future manager of the receiver. The latter backfired badly as he confronted me openly and aggressively in the office demanding why I included his to be manager. The receiver is now accusing me of trying to discredit him and ignoring to discuss the issue (he was too aggressive). I explained I included the manager to be by mistake and apologised. The manager to be replied by email to all and stated that he understood the mistake made and no harm was done. Still the employee, is pursuing this with HR and wants me investigated. Should I deny I included the other manager willingly or is that a non-issue?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Did you intentionally include the manager?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Then I emailed the manager, HR and the original sender claiming this was a mistake

Ben Jones :

So if you deny you included the manager willingly you will effectively be lying?

Customer:

I was trying to deescalate the situation and allow the receiver (employee) to save face

Customer:

The first question I need to know is, is that inclusion of the other manager a big issue with HR or not

Customer:

The manager is in the process of hiring him at present

Ben Jones :

well that would really depend on how the employer sees it...there is no right or wrong answer to this, one employer may find it as an issue, another may not. Ideally you should not have included this person in the email as it is not something they should have been dealing with and this should have been resolved between you and the employee and the employer, not by including others to try and show them what this person has done. But what has happened has happened so you need to try and deal with this as things stand. Do not try and dig a hole for yourself by saying things which were not true. You can try and say it was a bad judgement call on your part and that in hindsight you should not have sent it to the manager but don't say it was done unintentionally as this is not what happened

Customer:

What if I mentioned that I meant to include him in bcc: and was not meant to be cc (public):, either way, wrong judgement call. That way I don't look like I lied blatantly.

Customer:

If the company (large corporate) decided I was wrong (they probably will), what are the potential repercussions?

Ben Jones :

Yes you can say that. As to the consequences, again it depends on how seriously they view that but I would not say it is a dismissible offence, you may be issued with a warning to warn you about your future actions but for the time being I would view this as the most serious potential outcome

Customer: