29905560

We are currently changing to a new uniform and have been told

We are currently changing to a new uniform and have been told that we have to order it ourselves, in our own time. If not from home then before or after our shift or during our break (which is only 15 minutes for some). We also have to check our work rotas or the forthcoming week in our own time. Is this right? I'd have thought as they were company related matters we could take the 10 minutes or so per week to check our rosters on company time or, in the case of new uniform, the one off period of 15/20 mins.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer:

Hello Ben I know it's pretty trivial but we are all getting fed up of being told to do work related things in our own time. It would be good to know where we stand. Methinks the company (Marks and Spencer) is relying on us not knowing where we stand and therefore blindly following orders. It would be nice to have the matter clarified.

Ben Jones :

There is no specific law which states anything about such matters being dealt with in the employer's time, i.e. your working time., Many jobs provide rotas which the employees access and check in their own time so this is nothing strange or new and the employer could certainly just publish the rotas and ask you to access them in your own time., The same applies for the uniform. This is a one-ff event and not something that would take long. You are not conducting actyual work as per your contract when you buy it so it does not have to be treated as working time unfortunately. So from a legal point of view there is not much you can use to have it your way in this specific case

Customer:

That's fine Ben, It's the not knowing if we had a right to refuse or not which was driving us up the wall. Now we know and that makes the difference.

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, sorry it was not better news but obviously need to inform you of the facts

Customer:

Knowing the facts is not necessarily a bad thing. It's much better to know they are within their rights than to feel resentful because we feel they are intruding on our free time, short though that time may be.

Customer:

Thank you once again for clearing that up. I shall inform my colleagues tomorrow.

Customer:

Customer:

Lizzie

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'