29905560

who can chair a disciplinary hearing in the work place

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you asking about a forthcoming meeting or one which has already taken place?

Customer:

forthcoming meeting my boss is investigating the alleged misconduct and I want a fair hearing

Ben Jones :

Have you been told who will chair the meeting?

Customer:

no but I think he will

Ben Jones :

why do you think you will not get a fair hearing if he chairs it?

Customer:

I just want to know if he can or should he appoint someone elce

Ben Jones :

he can chair it if necessary - he is a manager and can be appointed by the employer to chair it. If he is involved in the allegations, for example there is a direct involvement between what you have been accused of and him, he should not be involved due to potential bias and they should appoint someone else. However, if there is no direct link, then he would be ok to chair it. Even if he was involved in some way, but there is no one else in a managerial position to deal with this, for example in very small companies, he could still chair it

Customer:

THANK YOU BEN FOR ALL YOUR HELP Robert M Burt

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best