29905560

I was in full time employment and in the heat of an argument

I was in full time employment and in the heat of an argument walked out on my job, this was nearly 5 years ago.
My question is can I ever apply for full time employment again or will this always stop me from obtaining full time employment again?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Why do you think it would prevent you from gaining full time employment?

Customer:

I have tried on a few occasions, everything seems fine until the reference checks, I have been contracting on and off for the nearly past five years but the response I normally come up against is a sought of guilty by association attitude which quickly leaves me very much isolated not just by the agencies but also the people I'm working with.

Ben Jones :

Legally, there is no reason why your past actions would prevent you from getting full time employment again. However, every employer makes their own decisions as to whether they wish to employ you or not and they could use this as a reason to decide not to offer you a permanent position. However, that certainly does not mean that every employer will come to the same decision - it is entirely possible that some employers will not take this into consideration when deciding on whether to employ you or not, it is just a matter of finding out which one and you can only really do that by continuing to apply for jobs. So there is certainly no guarantee you will never get full time employment again, it is just about finding the right employer that will offer this

Customer:

Ok, thanks for the input Ben, I will continue to test the waters of full time employment again so to speak, I was just thinking along the lines of like basic CRB checks where they only go back 5 years although I have no criminal convictions ever, I just wondered if the same applies with reference checks whether an employer would bother going back that far after five years

Ben Jones :

an employer can go back for references as far back as they want but generally they may only go as far back as 5 years, or the last couple of jobs, etc - it is up to them to decide. But the longer ago a job was the less relevant it becomes so the more likely it is that it will not be considered for reference purposes n

Customer:

Ok Ben,thanks you've made things a bit clearer for me and thanks for your time. I will bookmark this site in case I need anymore general clarification with my problem in the future.Thanks again

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'