taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hi, i recently left my job due to strong personal and work

i recently left my job due to strong personal and work related stress.
It left me in the situation i am in now which is unemployed and taking prescription medication to alleviate the pressure.
My GP has signed me off for a period of 1 month and then will re-evaluate me. I've also been signed up for counseling/therapy as a way to try and cope with the ongoing issues as well.My GP stated to me that this is not the first time in recent times that someone from where i worked had come and had to be signed off from work for a period of time.
I want to know if there is any ground for suing as they neglected my predicament and made me feel like my position was untenable.
Thank you in advance
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long ago did your employment end?

Customer:

it ended two weeks ago on friday.

taratill :

how long had you worked there for?

Customer:

I began working for them at the beginning of July of this year.

taratill :

Ok thanks, ***** ***** ask a bit about your health, do you suffer from depression and if so how long has this been for or have you had previous episodes. This is important as if you are deemed to be a disabled employee you have increased rights.

Customer:

certainly, i have been signed off with anxiety and depression. This happened all within the last few months. No, i had panic attacks when i was younger and completed Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and consequently it resolved my issues at that time.

Customer:

After this i intend to apply for Emplolyment and Support Allowance on the grounds of i am medically not fit to work.

taratill :

Ok thanks. Did you raise a grieavance about your treatment at all before you left?

Customer:

I did to my immediate supervisor's that i was experiencing personal issues and that my head wasn't in the job.

taratill :

Did you say you felt that work was causing the issues?

Customer:

i said to my immediate supervisor that my boss was placing a great deal of pressure on me. I said this whilst he was on holiday and the day i left was the day he returned from his holiday.

taratill :

Ok thanks, ***** ***** difficulty is that you did not work there long enough to bring a claim for contructive dismissal. You need 2 years service to bring a claim of this nature and you also need to show that you have exhausted internal grievance procedures first.

taratill :

On the basis of the facts that you have given I do not therefore think there is any action you can take against the employer, especially because no formal grievance was submitted.

taratill :

I am really sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it would be unfair for me to give you false hope.

taratill :

If there is anything further you would like to know about this please let me know.

Customer:

don't worry about it. I was just seeing what the landscape was really. So it may not be the best news but at least i can plan towards the future now

taratill :

I can understand that and I wish you all the best for the future.

Customer:

thank you for your time

taratill :

I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer and do come back to me in the future if you need to .