29905560

If an employee is off sick for one or two days does the employer

If an employee is off sick for one or two days does the employer have to pay them their normal wages for those days
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Does their contract entitle them to any sick pay?

Customer: Just the basic statutory sick pay. We have had an employee in the past who was contracted to work full time wed to sun but continually rang in sick on a Saturday. I paid her the normal wages for those odd sick days but not sure if I had to by law. As we only have one employee and she was working with animals it is extremely difficult if staff do this.
Ben Jones :

By law you do not have to pay an employee who is off sick their full wages for the time they are off. This is only a requirement if they have a contractual entitlement to full sick pay. However, if no such entitlement exists all they would be entitled to is SSP. Also note that SSP is not payable for isolated days off, the employee needs to have been off sick for at least 4 consecutive days before they become eligible for SSP, so if they are simply off for one day but are not sick for the other 3 days around that day (including non-working days), they do not get SSP entitlement and simply do not get paid anything

Customer:

thank you that is a great help

Ben Jones :

you are welcome