taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hi, I have a question regarding a possible case of discrimination

Hi, I have a question regarding a possible case of discrimination at work. I am pregnant (21 weeks) and have been told I'm ready for promotion, but my employer has told me I will not be promoted until I return from maternity leave as otherwise I would only be doing the role I would have been promoted to for a short amount of time (4 months). Instead, they have hired someone externally to fill the vacant role I could have been promoted into.
Do I have a case for discrimination on grounds of pregnancy? Please let me know your thoughts.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

taratill :

If the reason you have not been promoted is your pregnancy then that amounts to direct sex discrimination contrary to the Equality Act 2010.

taratill :

You should raise a grievance about this and lodge a claim in the Employment Tribunal. Your employer cannot take action against you for raising this issue as this would amount to victimisation.

taratill :

The entire purpose of the maternity laws is to protect women from this kind of discrimination. It is appalling that this has happened.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.