taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hi My partner is a black female who works for a firm of

My partner is a black female who works for a firm of city brokers.
2 years ago there was a consultation and review of roles. Some staff were made redundant. She was retained and given a managers role, with a minor salary (2k) uplift.
The role she is doing now was previously occupied by a white man paid twice her salary. One of the people she line manages, who does a role junior to her, gets paid 10K more than her.
She has raised her desire for a pay rise with her LM but has been fobbed off for 6 months. Jobs in the company have come and gone and not been advertised.
Any advice?
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Does she believe this is due to her race/; sex? Has she raised a grievance about this?

Customer:

Jenny

Customer:

not yet. I could add that she has improved her book of business, beaten her targets for two years,a nd negotiates at a very senior level.

Customer:

If she raises a grievance, it is a bit of a nuclear option in the City, we feel...

Customer:

she does feel it is due to her sex and race a little, yes

taratill :

Ok without raising a grievance it is hard to see how she can proceed unfortunately as it is not really possible to raise a claim in the Employment Tribunal without first raising an internal complaint about her treatment.

taratill :

If she does raise a grievance and is terminated then it would amount to victimisation.

Customer:

ok

taratill :

I would therefore suggest that a grievance is, in the first instance, the most appropriate route of action for her.

Customer:

any advice about what to put in the grievance? mention sex/race, or ask for an informal review? ask ofr pay rates of others? policy on recruitment?

taratill :

Hi it might be best to ask for an informal review first but don't be afraid of raising a grievance and alleging discrimination if that does not achieve the outcome she wants.

Customer:

ok, thanks Jenny

taratill :

The should be able to justify the difference of pay on non - gender/ race grounds, if they cannot it is appropriate to raise a complaint.

Customer:

last question - would you recommend asking for the internal policies they may have, and if so which ones?

taratill :

Yes, internal grievance and recruitement policies would be useful.

Customer:

thank you Jenny

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer.

taratill :

Do come back to me in the future if you need to and good luck.