taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

my company has just informed the staff that their will be no

Customer Question

my company has just informed the staff that their will be no overtime in future, and anyone wanting to work extra hours will be paid as a casual employee,which means that we would be working for £3.16p less than our normal overtime rate, also their would be no enhancment rate for working after 6pm and midnight, are they allowed to do this?
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
Customer:

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for the employer for?

JACUSTOMER-aapb296a- :

7 years

Customer:

Does your employment contract say that overtime will be paid?

JACUSTOMER-aapb296a- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-aapb296a- :

no answer yet

JACUSTOMER-aapb296a- :

send to my email thank you.

Customer:

Hi I'm just caught up in a meeting. Please can you tell me the wording of the contract and whether you have been given notice of a change in terms and conditions?

Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
Hi sorry I think there has been a technical problem, please can you send me a copy of the contract wording and tell me whether you have been given notice of a change in terms and conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

standard working week 37 hours,10%enhancement after 8pm 33third enhancement after midnight, only recieved e mail wednesday new regulations would start monday

Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
Ok what they are doing amounts to an unilateral variation of contract and is unalwful.
They are not entitled to change terms and conditions without giving notice due under your contract or for at least a weeks notice per year of your employment (up to a maximum of 12 weeks). This means that if they do reduce your pay in this way you will be able to bring a claim of unlawful deduction from salary.
You should tell them that you do not accept the changes so that it is clear that you do not agree to work under the new terms.