michael holly
michael holly, Solicitor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience of dealing with employment law matters and qualified mediator
12609314

Hi,My name is***** question is regarding an allegation

Customer Question

My name is***** question is regarding an allegation which was made about me at my past place of work. My job was at an inpatient psychiatric hospital where I worked as a support worker with adolescents. I began the job at the end of July 2014 and my contract was terminated on the 10th October 2014.
Today I received a letter from the hospital stating that there has been an allegation made against me that I ‘befriended’ a patient on Facebook while I worked there and have kept in contact since leaving the job. The letter stated that the issue has been passes onto LADO as a safeguarding allegation.
While I have been in contact with an EX-patient, I did not befriend her on Facebook and certainly not while she was a patient there. We were in contact after she was discharged from the hospital and I was no longer a staff member there. I would never have been in contact had she still been a patient there, or while I was working there as I am aware of the policy against this. But I am not aware of any policy which states that I cannot be in contact with someone who is no longer a patient there while I am not a member of staff.
I should add that I am certain that the allegation was made by the EX-patients mother, as she knows we have been in touch, but she was not aware that I was an ex-staff member.
My question is whether it is worth appealing against this allegation and what the procedure would be for this. If not, what would you recommend I do? Would it be worth hiring a lawyer?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Kind regards,
Emma.
Expert:  michael holly replied 3 years ago.
Dear Emma
It certainly would be worth appealing this as it may remain as a mark against you if it goes unchallenged. You were not in breach of the policy as you understand it since she was no longer a patient and you were no longer employed there. You should ask them for the procedure to challenge the allegation and they must provide it to you. You can then go from there.
I hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply
Best wishes
Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely find out the procedure for appealing.

I was wondering also, are you aware of any policy which states that what I did was wrong? I am unsure if maybe there are some other policies regarding this due to her being under 18.

Emma.