taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hi if worked at farm road sports and social club for 10 years

Hi if worked at farm road sports and social club for 10 years or so,I volanarily cut my hours down as I got a full time job so they got me to sign a contract for 8 hours then I fell pregnant so left for mat leave ,now I'm want in to return iv asked for 16 hours as I won't be going back to the other job they said they can't give them me there's not enough hours to give me but yet they have new staff set on,so just wondering where I stand,thanks.
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long ago were you required to sign the 8 hours contract?

Customer:

Hi think it was around may last year.

taratill :

so before you were pregnant?

Customer:

Really can't remember but I asked to see the contract

taratill :

Ok but do you think it was when you were pregnant, this is important?

Customer:

I can't because if phoned an they said I'd signed 2 one for 8 hours then another for zero I'mgoing to see them fFriday so I can see it

taratill :

So what was your working pattern before you had the baby?

Customer:

I was working 21 hours then when I got full time work I cut them down because I was to tiered doing 9to 5 then behind bar at the weekends so it was just Saturday night and Sunday nights

taratill :

Ok but when did you go down to Saturday and Sundays, how long ago was it?

Customer:

Just after I found out I was pregnant so June July ish

taratill :

Ok well legally your right to return is to the hours and job that you were doing before you went on maternity leave. This means that the employer does not have to offer you more hours than the 8 that you changed to in your contract. You do have the right to return and/ or request flexible working in respect of the other job.

taratill :

If your employer has hours that it is not giving to you and you believe that this is because of your baby or a related reason then potentially this amounts to sex discrimination contrary to the :Equality Act.

taratill :

You should raise a grievance and bring a claim if you believe that this is the case.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. if I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

Well before I did get anther job or fell pregnant I do believe they was trying to get rid of me anyway but just couldn't prove it

Customer:

OK thanks

taratill :

No problem, you should definitely put a complaint in if they are treating you differently because of the fact that you have just had a baby.

Customer:

Its not that if had a baby its been going on for years but I think this is the only way they can get rid of me

taratill :

Ok if things have been going on for years and matters are now getting worse you should raise a grieavnce.

Customer:

OK thanks for your help

taratill :

No problem, please remember to rate my answer and do come back to me in the future if you need to . All the best.