taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hi after being sacked for gross misconduct which I believe

Hi after being sacked for gross misconduct which I believe to be unfair, can I request statements from ex colleagues? The reason being I am now going to struggle getting employment and want evidence that was extreme circumstances
Thanks sarah
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What kind of statements are you hoping to get, is it references?

Customer:

Hi, its more of a statement of events. I feel was very unjustified sacking me and it will obviously effect getting a new job. So just wanted evidence to support myself when applying for new jobs.

taratill :

Hi if they are willing to give you statements then there is no problem. You cannot force them to do so though.

taratill :

Have you been employed for 2 years, if so you could consider an unfair dismissal claim against the employer?

Customer:

Hi no unfortunately only employed since March 2013. I know they wont willingly give me a statement as my boss could have stepped up and defended me at any stage. Am I classed as unemployable now? When asked why I left employment do I have options on what I can say?

taratill :

You are not unemployable. Many employees have small gaps in their employment history or can say an employment has not worked out.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your quesiton i would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.