taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hi, I hope that you can advise me. I think I am going to lose

Customer Question

Hi, I hope that you can advise me. I think I am going to lose my job on Tuesday... a situation occurred where a work colleague has made false accusations about me after we had had a slight altercation in the work place which spiralled out of control. He started raising his voice and was aggressive. At no point did a manager intervene. He decided to resign on this day (Thursday) and was re-instated on Friday to another department. He bypassed all line managers and went to HR who invited me to a meeting with no warning or notification at all. the HR director was on a Skype connection and another HR staff was taking notes. I was not advised that I could have a colleague present and was not asked to sign the notes taken.
During the meeting he was invited into the meeting where he personally verbally insulted me saying I was sly, vindictive and nasty!
The HR Director on Skype said that someone had reported that I had asked for drugs!! Apparently the accuser (unknown to me) would not submit a statement. I neither take drugs or condone the use of illegal substances. The HR Director also said that when I had called in sick on the absence line that I sounded drunk! She has not let me have a recording of this call yet and she is visiting the site on Tuesday. When I asked if my job was safe, I was told that only the HR Director could tell me this. I suffered chest pains after the meeting probably brought on by the stress. I informed the HR Manager of this and was told I could not leave work early (at around 2.30pm - I was due to finish work at 5pm).. My sister has had to be with me this weekend as this is making me ill. I feel that I have been put in an untenable position, feel bullied and victimised (I really don't want to go in on Monday) I have been in this employ for around 14 months, on minimum wage and am 45 years old. The person who is involved has been given a different role on another department, he has been with the company around 3 years and is of mixed race (whether relevant or not). He has been given the choice to stay with the company and I feel that my side of the story has been ignored and that HR have not been impartial. Do I go in on Monday??? If I walk could it be considered constructive dismissal?
Hope you can help and many thanks in advance Julie Gallimore
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?