taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Today I have been made redundant from my position as part-time

Today I have been made redundant from my position as part-time Purchase Ledger assistant and given two options statutory or voluntary redundancy. Two months ago a new Finance Director started and began nit picking and was generally not very nice to me (None of his comments were work related). I went to the Human Resources Manager in confidence and off the record for some advice, she in turn told the Managing Director and he spoke to the Finance Director about this situation. Less than two weeks later on Friday 21st November I am informed that my job is at risk and they highlighted in a letter what changes they had made to the Finance Department, these changes (Only one of the three changes relate to my position) these changes in total will save about four days in a month. I currently work thirteen days in a calendar month. I was then asked to attend a meeting on Monday 24th November to discuss options, as they have no alternative positions available I was offered redundancy. Do I have a case for unfair dismissal? I have currently been send home to decide what I wish to do.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

Hi Jenny three years and eight months

taratill :

are you the only person being made redundant?

Customer:

yes I am

taratill :

You do have a case for unfair dismissal as you can put a case forward that the reason for the 'redundancy' is your complaint about the manager not a genuine redundancy situation and that this redundancy situation has been contrived to find a fair reason to terminate your employment.

Customer:

Am I likely to win this if I take legal action

taratill :

It will depend on the evidence that his presented to the tribunal.The employer is required to disclose all evidence whether it goes in its favour or not.

Customer:

as the conversation was "off the record" does that make any difference

taratill :

no, not at all, the tribunal will be interested in the real reason for the dismissal. The fact that the conversation was 'off the record' makes no difference.

Customer:

will I be intitled to legal aid?

Customer:

will I still receive my redundancy money?

taratill :

You can receive the redundancy money and still claim. you will need to appeal against the dismissal then raise a claim. It is unlikely you will be entitled to legal aid but if you have household.insurance it may well contain legal expenses cover which is worth looking at.

Customer:

just one last thing can i appeal if I take voluntary redundancy or do I need to take to take the statutory redundancy

taratill :

If you are being paid enhanced redundancy if you accept voluntary it is likely you will be offered a settlement agreement which will prevent you from claiming in the Tribunal. In order for this agreement to be legally binding it will have to be signed off by a solicitor, at your employer's expense. That solicitor will advice you and negotiate on your behalf a fair settlement, this is likely to be the best option as it will avoid the need to go to tribunal. If you are not asked to sign a settlement agreement then accepting money will not affect your ability to raise a claim.

Customer:

Many thanks Jenny

taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters