29905560

An employee started work for me on 23 july this year and signed

An employee started work for me on 23 july this year and signed a contract on 17 august with the need to give 2 weeks notice to quit in the first 3 months and 4 weeks thereafter. He decided to quit with no notice on 1 November and we are now in dispute over pay. How much notice do you think he should have given bearing in mind the day he started and the day he signed. Although he signed on 17/8 the contract start date states 23/7.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you tell me was the person on fulltime or part-time work

Customer:

full time

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Ok thank you leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.
It is irrelevant when the contract was signed and what actually matters is the date it was valid from. So a contract could legally start at a certain date and be signed at a later date but its legal validity would still be from the official start date. In your case the contract was due to start on 23 July and that is its formal start date, regardless of the fact it was signed in August. So if he left on 1 Nov, he should have given 4 weeks’ notice.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you