29905560

I have been dismissed by my employer with no proper reason,

Customer Question

I have been dismissed by my employer with no proper reason, had an appraisal a couple of weeks prior to this and asked to discuss the content of the resulting notes with HR as they were inaccurate and contained some untrue statements, was referred to HR manager as he was on holiday, on his return I sent him the notes and asked to discuss - no response. That week at 4.55pm on Friday I was dismissed. I was told I was put on gardening leave but now have a letter saying I am not, but receiving 3 months PILON and am dismissed with immediate effect. I had also previously raised that my boss's personal partner, who was a contractor to the company, had been overheard discussing me with a colleague, saying 'I want her out and I'm going to get her out'. I feel I have been unfairly dismissed, but only worked there 11 months, can I do anything?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. If you have been continuously employed at your place of work for less than 2 years then your employment rights will unfortunately be somewhat limited. Most importantly, you will not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that your employer can dismiss you for more or less any reason, and without following a fair procedure, as long as their decision is not based on discriminatory grounds (i.e. because of gender, race, religion, age, a disability, sexual orientation, etc.) or because you were trying to assert any of your statutory rights (e.g. requesting maternity/paternity leave, etc.). In the event that the reason for dismissal fell within these categories, then the dismissal will either be automatically unfair, or there will be a potential discrimination claim.

If the dismissal had nothing to do with any of the above exceptions then you would not be able to challenge it and your only protection would be if you were not paid your contractual notice period, because unless you were dismissed for gross misconduct, you would be entitled to receive your contractual notice period. If you did not have a written contract in place you would be entitled to the minimum statutory notice period of 1 week. Your employer would either have to allow you to work that notice period and pay you as normal, or they will have to pay you in lieu of notice.

If you were not paid your notice period when you were due one, that would amount to wrongful dismissal (which is different to unfair dismissal) and you could make a claim in an employment tribunal to recover the pay for the notice period that you should have been given. There is a 3-month time limit from the date of dismissal to submit the claim. However, if you were paid the required notice period and there were no discriminatory reasons for your dismissal then unfortunately you will not be able to challenge this.

Ben Jones :

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you wanted to hear but I hope you understand I have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands and sometimes this does unfortunately mean delivering bad news. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks