29905560

I VE BEEN DISMISSED AM APPEALING BUT COMPANY GAVE UNDER 48

Customer Question

I VE BEEN DISMISSED AM APPEALING BUT COMPANY GAVE UNDER 48 HRS NOTICE OF HEARING STATING I CAN BE ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY A WORK COLLEAGUE OR DESIGNATED OFFICIAL FROM TRADE UNION ONLY.I AM NOT IN A UNION PLUS HAVE NO WORK COLLEAGUE I COULD TAKE .WHAT CAN I DO.
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. how long have you worked there for?
JACUSTOMER-obvfu8nx- :

17 YEARS

Ben Jones :

When you say they only gave you less than 48h notice was that for the appeal hearing or the dismissal hearing?

JACUSTOMER-obvfu8nx- :

THE APPEAL HEARING

Ben Jones :

The law does not stipulate a minimum notice period for a dismissal appeal hearing so if the employer wanted they could give you a day or two’s notice and that would be perfectly legal. They still need to adhere to their own disciplinary policy though so if that states a minimum notice period must be given they should follow that, but in the absence of such a policy or a specific notice that applies, they can give you any notice they want.

As to who can accompany you, they are not legally obliged to allow you to be accompanied by anyone. Again, the law does not give you the specific right to be accompanied by anyone so the employer can stipulate who they can allow to come in with you. So if their decision is that they will only allow a union rep or a colleague then that is what will happen – you have no legal right to request that anyone else goes in with you and if you cannot find either of these to accompany you, then you will have to attend alone.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

JACUSTOMER-obvfu8nx- :

This clarifies the situation but does not rearly help any ideas of who to contact for help

Ben Jones :

What help do you require specifically?

Ben Jones :

So I can direct you to the appropriate people if I can?