29905560

If I change my role in a company to a similar one but working

If I change my role in a company to a similar one but working for a different client do I have to sign a letter agreeing to a probationary period (of 3 months in this instance)?
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is the change a permanent one and does the employer remain the same?
Customer:

YES AND YES

Ben Jones :

Thanks. To be honest the fact that you are on a probationary period would not really change your legal rights in any way. Your man employment rights are determined by the continuous length of service you have with the company. For example you are protected against unfair dismissal if you have more than 2 years’ continuous service so even if you agree to a probationary period for chancing clients, the employer cannot just dismiss you if they consider that you failed that probationary period. So such periods are really only used as an internal performance tool but they do not affect your legal rights which are determined by law and based on the length of service you have with that employer.

You may also find that the employer could refuse to give you that job if you do not agree to that initial probationary period, which is something they can do if necessary. So consider what is more important for you – the job itself, or not having this probationary period at the beginning.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Customer:

Thank you - that does clarify things

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best