29905560

I have been offered a new job to start January 19th. The new

I have been offered a new job to start January 19th. The new employer called me last Friday 12th to offer the position and followed up with an email on Friday, as below (I have replaced with X some of the details). I replied by email same day to accept the job.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear X
As discussed I would like to offer you the position of X within the X (address of new place of work)
The salary will be £X pa. There will be an initial probationary period of 6 months, and your start date will be X. I have asked the HR department to send you your formal offer and contract, which you should receive within the week.
If you do have any questions about anything please do not hesitate to contact me.
Congratulations! And I look forward to seeing you in X soon.
Signs off with Manager's Name
Job title
SUBJECT TO CONTRACT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My new employer said on the phone when offering me the position and discussing the new start date that this email would be enough for me to serve notice with my current employer. I need to serve notice asap in my current job as I would like to have a few days off before starting the new job. Ideally I want to serve notice tomorrow, Monday 15th, however I need to know if this email of a job offer and my email confirming acceptance forms some kind of binding commitment enough for me to serve notice?
They will be sending a formal offer via HR, however that could take a few days so I'm not sure if I have enough legal backing via the email to be secure enough to serve notice on this basis?
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. the offer and your subsequent acceptance will form a legally binding agreement between you and the employer. However from a legal perspective it does not give you much protection anyway because even with this offer in place they can terminate your employment at any time within the first two years just by giving you the contractual notice period you are due. Let's say this is just a weeks notice so in theory they could employ you and in the first week of work they can give you the notice and terminate your employment without you having any recourse. But that's the worst case scenario and something to be aware of
Customer:

The main thing is that I didn't want to serve notice on my current job and find the email offer is not binding. Basically I just need to know that the email is sufficient to serve notice with and I don't need to wait for hard copy paperwork from the HR department?

Customer:

I understand what you are saying that I need to be there long term before I have more protection but I just needed to know that they cannot retract the offer made by email or that the email offer is as good as an offer sent in the post by the HR department?

Customer:

So bot***** *****ne from what you are saying is that based on their email offer, they are legally bound to give me the job and cannot retract the offer but can terminate the job by giving contractual notice at anytime during the first 2 years.Is this correct?

Ben Jones : An email offer can be sufficient as long as it is accepted by you. The same can apply to a verbal offer, you don't need a dormal
Ben Jones : *formal letter
Ben Jones : but yes, even with such a binding contract in place they can still terminate it simply by giving you the notice period under it
Customer:

Customer:

I am unable to rate you as it says still waiting reply from expert....