Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I worked for 4 years in a company dealing with surveyors /

Customer Question

I worked for 4 years in a company dealing with surveyors / property managers.
After approx 3 years I received a contract that signed with a non compete. 8 months later I left the company to join a competitor. My employer was aware of this but he didn't say anything. I was also in the possession of the entire contact database that I made use of (I made contact to approx 2% of this database) Most of them however I have contacted via LinkedIn.
The company i worked previsouly is a LTD company trading as. One of the shareholders asked me to meet at the Head Office in France to discuss how and if we can work together again.
The Managing director of the UK company was not pleased with this and he has now contacted my employer who sacked me and I have also received a letter from a solicitor.
What I have done wrong:
Work for a competitor (but I thought I can work there, to make use of my right of earn a living) I worked as a Business Development Executive (sales)
Make use of company database
What I think I haven't done wrong is:
To offer my services to the French Company (they own the patent and the UK company is like a franchise) I have also expressed my desire if they need or want a new UK partner I would be interested. I met with them as the Shareholder in the UK company is also a member of the French company/family member. This shareholder has setup the meeting in France.
After this meeting. The MD of the UK company sent me a letter from the solicitor and met with my current employer who got me sacked.
What can I do now?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long did you work for the new company and what would you like to achieve in this situation?

JACUSTOMER-tf9353cz- :

I worked for this new company just over 2,5 months. It seems they haven't paid me either yet. What I would like to archive is to sign the non compete (as I did now) and leave it at that.

Ben Jones :

Do you mean the non compete with the old company?

JACUSTOMER-tf9353cz- :

Yes, I received a contract from the old company after 3 years and left a few months later. The solicitor has now showed me signed contract but my signature is only on the back page and the rest of this document looks completly different. I have also never received a contract back, so I can't proof if I signed this entire document.

JACUSTOMER-tf9353cz- :

To me it looks like I have been setup, as I was entitled to speak to any company after I left the job. So I spoke to the main company in France and they arranged a meeting with me. This was then arranged by someone who is a shareholder in the UK company and this is how everything came out and the solicitors got involved.

Ben Jones :

I have looked into your query in more detail but do not think I have the answer to your question. I will therefore opt out and let other experts take this further if they can. Someone should respond shortly. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please continue

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to ask another question.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Would you like me to close this question and ask the new question on a new page?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. Please cancel for now.

Kind Regards,

Thierry XXXXXX