29905560

I was made redundant in November and I am in the process of

Customer Question

I was made redundant in November and I am in the process of mediating a settlement through ACAS as I believe I was unfairly dismissed, what is a reasonable amount to request
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long did you work there for and why do you think you were unfairly dismissed?
JACUSTOMER-utx0e76b- : I worked just under 7 years, was on 32k plus 5k car allowance, there were 19 of us that had to re apply for our jobs(14 positions) during this process we had to attend an assessment centre, some of this wS group based and myself and 2 colleagues were in the same group as our direct boss at the time who we all reported directly to, I feel this swayed the whole group dynamic and wasof detrement to my myself.
Ben Jones :

Sorry I had some connection issues earlier and could not respond. From hat you have said I would not say this is really an unfair dismissal, from a legal point of view that is unlikely to be something which would amount to a reason that would make the dismissal unfair. You may have felt uncomfortable being in the same group as your boss and it could have affected your performance but that in itself would not amount to an unfair dismissal. So if that is all you are basing your arguments on then you will have a rather weak case I'm afraid.

Also what you can claim for would depend on what luck you have had with finding a job since being made redundant, how is that going?

JACUSTOMER-utx0e76b- : No luck in the job hunt, so it sounds like a long shot then I belive my best chance is to try n get a settlement before going to tribunal what do you think is a reasonable amount to ask for
Ben Jones :

What you can reasonably ask for will depend on the strength of your case so in the circumstances it would be relatively low, if anything. In this case it would be best to commence the negotiating process and let the employer come forward with an offer, which you can then use as a starting point to try and negotiate on something a bit higher. But if they have taken legal advice and know their prospects of defending the case are strong, they could offer very little or nothing at all and allow you to go all the way to tribunal, where you would have to show that the dismissal was unfair.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks