taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I WORK HUSBAND COMPANY DOING THE BOOKS FROM HOME FOR

I WORK FOR MY HUSBAND COMPANY DOING THE BOOKS FROM HOME FOR 7YEAR , HE THEN GOT OFFICE SPACE LAST YEAR AND ANOTHER DIRECTOR JOINED THE COMPANY, I HAVE A YOUNG FAMILY SO I CAN ONLY GET IN TO THE OFFICE WHEN I CAN BUT STILL DO MOST OF MY WORK AT HOME, NOW THIS NEW DIRECTOR WANTS ME IN OFFICE MORE WITH FIXED DAYS AND TIMES AND NO WORK DONE AT HOME,IVE EXPLAINED I CANT DO THIS COS OF MY KIDS AND NO ONE TO LOOK AFTER MY SON BUT HE IS NOT HAPPY WITH THIS, I DO NOT HAVE A CONTRACT BECAUSE I WAS ONLY HELPING BEEN HELPING THEM OUT OVER THE YEARS.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for the company for?

Customer: 7 YEARS
taratill :

Ok thanks, ***** ***** said what will happen if you do not go in?

Customer: NO ,HE JUST BEING FUNNY, RING MY HUSBAND UP ALL THE TIME ON WHY, HE WONT SPEAK TO ME, I THINK HE WANTS ME TO LEAVE.
taratill :

Ok in spite of the fact that you have no written contract you are an employee of the company and your current terms and conditions cannot be unilaterally varied by the employer. If you have always worked from home this is your normal place of work and your employer cannot force you to attend the office.

taratill :

If the employer says it now requires a person to attend the office to do your job then potentially you are in a redundancy situation as the need for a person to perform the job at your location (your home) has ceased or diminished.

taratill :

In addition to this it potentially amounts to indirect sex discrimination if the reason for the ill treatment can be considered to be your family responsibilities.

taratill :

You can raise a grievance about this situation.

taratill :

You can say that you are not prepared to go to the office as it amounts to a change in your terms and conditions.

Customer: OK WHAT SHOULD MY NEXT STEP BE
taratill :

Well either you can do nothing and just refuse to go to the office. If you are dismissed it will be unfair dismissal and you would be able to raise a claim. The alternative would be to raise a formal grievance about the treatment of the manager on the basis that I described above.

Customer: THANK YOU ***** BE SENT TO MY EMAIL.
taratill :

It is not possible to send it to your email but you can print it and / or access it again by logging into your account.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

taratill :

Hello is there anything further I can help you with?