Experience:  30 years experience as a solicitor.
31090051

while waiting to offshore to an oil platform my company would

while waiting to offshore to an oil platform my company would pay me my full 12 hours at my offshore rate. recently they have cut this to 8 hours at 1/2 the offshore rate stating that this has always been the case and the 12 full hours was only ever a goodwill gesture.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Firstly you have to establish what the contract says and also ask that this was indeed a goodwill gesture.
If they want to treat it as that there has to be a letter to the employees to that effect. If there is not, it is a variation of the employment contract and they can't then vary it back again without the agreement of the employees.
Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Offshore contractors association contract which we work under states we are only entitled to 8 hours at 1/2 'rig rate' when on standby from the platform but we have been getting paid full 12 hours at rig rate last number of years and now theyre saying this should not have been the case and stopped it.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Why was it the case long and how did it come about?
If they hey can establish it was goodwill they can stop it. If it was a variation they are stuck with it as they were the ones that unilaterally varied the contract.