Experience:  30 years experience as a solicitor.
31090051

I have an employee who has only worked 6 days so far this year.

I have an employee who has only worked 6 days so far this year. She didn't return to work after her Christmas holiday until the 12th Jan, worked 6 days and has not been back to work. When she did come to work she told me she has been having relationship problems with her boyfriend. She then did not come to work on 20 Jan and tried to contact her by text and phone but she would not answer. I eventually contacted her on the 4th Feb and told her that her employment was terminated as I had not been contacted and was given no reason for her absence. Today, 5 Jan, she has issued me with a form for statutory sick pay saying she is suffering from anxiety and depression. Do I have to pay it?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
How long has the person worked for you?
Have any medical certificates been submitted to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has worked for me for less than 2 years and has supplied no medical certificates.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If she's worked for you for less than two years and as long as there's no discrimination aspect to this, then you can fire her as in fact you have done.