taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I was sacked workplace last May, I have been informed

I was sacked for my workplace last May, I have been informed by several people that the line manager has been giving out information about me to members of the public. I would have thought this was in breach of the data protection as my dismissal hearing was held in private and the information given by the line manager could have only come from my ex employer.
Regards Jeanette.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

taratill :

Have you suffered a loss as a result of this, and has he been telling people outside of the workplace?

Customer:

I was employed in a members Club but it was opened to none members for a party, the information was told to guest, no I haven't suffered loss as yet but I live in Rye, a small town and already people have stopped me in the street with regards ***** ***** been said by the line manager, this could effect my chances of finding other employment in the town. Jeanette.

taratill :

Hi Jeanette it is unacceptable and your employer is not entitled to do this. You are right that it amounts to a breach of the Data Protection Act. You should write to the employer to say that this has come to your attention and that if it continues and you suffer a loss you will have no alternative but to take action which can include reporting them to the Information Commissioner.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If i have anwered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.