29905560

After receiving an updated contract of employment, I didn't

After receiving an updated contract of employment, I didn't sign it or respond back to the company with any questions. Is the new contract now deemed as binding.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you tell me when you received the updated contract and how long have you been with your employer please.

Customer:

I have been employed since may 2011 and i received the updated contract on 29/07/2014 to sign or discuss any queries. The last email asking for a response from my HR department was on 10/12/2014

Customer:

Sorry, forgot to say Hi

Ben Jones :

Ok thank you leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.

Customer:

thanks

Ben Jones :

Many thanks for your patience. a contract can be legally binding regardless of whether it was signed or not or if you had acknowledges it acceptance. A contract can become legally binding through an ‘implied acceptance’, which could be simply down to your actions. For example, if your new contract had specific terms which you had started working under (say an updated job description, a higher pay which you started to receive, etc) then your actions of working under those terms without challenging them can mean that you have implied your acceptance to this new contract. If there is nothing to pin you to an acceptance of its terms, if for example there were no new terms or anything unique about it that can be argued you had accepted its terms then it could be more difficult to argue that was the case, although not impossible. That would really be down to a court to decide, looking at the situation in more detail.

I hope this clarifies your position? If you could please quickly let me know that would be great, as it is important for us to keep track of customer satisfaction. Thank you

Customer:

Thanks Ben, that some what clarifies my position as the contract is mainly full of legal jargon, but does not actually change my day to day work or pay.

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'