taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Due to being diagnosed with depression caused by stress and

Customer Question

Due to being diagnosed with depression caused by stress and anxiety to which my current place of employment is the biggest contributor, I began the search for a new job - and have since found and been offered a new position.
My current emnployers want me to work my full months notice (which would take me to the end of May) but my new employers wish me to start at the beginning of May. And quite frankly, for my own health I wish to leave as soon as possible.
Legally, what can my current employers do? Could I simply walk out at the end of April? Get sign off from my Doc? Threaten them with legal action?
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for your employer and are you currently signed off sicck?

JACUSTOMER-lwvijype- :

Hi Jenny,

JACUSTOMER-lwvijype- :

I've been here 11 months. Not currently signed off sick, no.

JACUSTOMER-lwvijype- :

Are you still there?

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hi yes I am still here, is your employer likely to suffer a financial loss if you leave early?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jenny,
No, not that I've been made aware of. I'm based at my client's head office - so effectively all they'd lose is a bum on a seat. There are still 2 to 3 people here at any one time.

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
In that case there is nothing they can do if you leave early except give you a bad reference. They can only take action in breach of contract and if they will not suffer a financial loss they cannot sue you if you fail to work your notice.
If you have any further questions please ask.
Good luck with your new job.