taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have worked company as a Quality Control Manager for

I have worked for a company as a Quality Control Manager for 2 months now and my first probation period after 1 month put me down as follows:
Quality and Accuracy of work : Good
Efficiency : Good
Attendance : Excellent
Time Keeping : Excellent
Work relationship : Improvement required ( That was for allegations only that I smelt of drink not once did they challenge me on the day of the allegation, or on the day of the allegation send me home, very strange, and it is not true).
Managers comments from review: Good feedback from Main customer. Positive feedback from all areas of the business. Good start etc.
Then I get a threatening letter today that my work standard has been falling below standard ( and not being informed if it was, and that the probation meeting moved forward by nearly a month may result action being taken up to including termination. I got this letter today and the probation meeting is tomorrow at 9.30am do I have any rights?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

taratill :

Do you believe you are being discriminated against in any way on the basis of age, sex, race, religion, disability, pregnancy or for raising a health and safety or other complaint?

Customer:

I have been a Quality Manager for over 26 years having worked for Mercedes F1 as head of Quality and various other 1st tier companies to the automotive sector such as Magna,Lear ,Metzeler etc as QA manager, I have never been treated like this way and do feel discriminated.

taratill :

Do you feel discriminated against for one of the reasons I have listed above, if so can you explain?

Customer:

They are a small company and if they don't like your face for whatever reason they make life difficult, and having been their only 2 months I have had to handle some awkward people in my Team, when a Director of Quality has been their for over five years and hid away from doing his role before I got their.

taratill :

Ok unfortunately under UK law an employer can terminate a persons job for any reason in the first 2 years of employment, even if they think that a 'face does not fit. The exception to this is if they discriminate against the person contrary to the Equality Act 2010, which are for the reasons I listed earlier. If non of these apply then there is no recourse in law if employment is terminated. The employer will have to pay notice and outstanding holiday pay if your position is terminated.

taratill :

I am sorry that this is not the answer you were hoping for.

taratill :

Unfortunately employment rights for employees in the first 2 years are extremely weak.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and al the best.

Customer:

Hats happening I have had no reply?

taratill :

Hi can't you see what I have typed above?

Customer:

What is happening I have had no reply to my last question?

taratill :

I can see my reply above your comment.

taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
HI I have changed the format to help you to see the reply. Can you now see it above?
If you have any further questions please ask?