29905560

I was made redundant from my job exactly 1 year ago this saturday,

I was made redundant from my job exactly 1 year ago this saturday, 28/03/14. I have tried applying for a different job with the same company today, but was told that "they are not in a position to accept applications from recently redundant employees".
Is 1 year recent?
The company changed its name about 9 months ago as it was part bought out by a new company so 51% owned by my previous employer and 49% by new company.
What are my rights?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer:

Hi Ben, What you reckon?

Ben Jones :

Sadly you have no rights at all in this situation. The employer is entirely free to choose who they employ and on what grounds. The only requirement is that their decision is not based on discriminatory grounds linked to age, gender, race, religion or a disability. However, if their decision is due to you having been previously employed by them, regardless of how long ago that was, it is something they can use and it cannot be challenged legally - the employer is free to choose who they employ and have wide ranging powers to decide n what grounds they will make that decision and in this case they are entitled to do that

Customer:

Thanks,

Ben Jones :

you are welcome