29905560

Hii calculate that E14.00 @ time & a third is £18.62My

Hi i calculate that £14.00 @ time & a third is £18.62 My Agency calculates it £18.20 Could you please tell which one of us is correct ?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Does the contract stipulate a specific way of calculating this? What is the exact wording please?

Customer:

Hello Ben

Customer:

No the contract does & they stating that time & a third = 1.3

Ben Jones :

The law is rather silent on this matter. There is nothing specific that would give you a correct answer, whether in your or your employer’s favour. Strictly speaking a third is 0.333333 (recurring) but how far is one expected to go in terms of accuracy? Some employer would use 1.3, others 1.33, and some may go even more accurate and use further decimal places. What the employer chooses is up to them really and they need t make it clear at the outset, or you need to clarify it with them – if you are unhappy you do not have to take the job. If you have been told what it is or been paid a specific calculation for some time then you would have accepted that. Sadly by taking the matter further, like to court, is going to be rather uncertain as there is nothing in law that you can show to give you 100% certainty to take it further. You can nevertheless raise a grievance with the employer if you wanted to – it is an internal complaint which is dealt with formally.

I hope this clarifies your position? If you could please quickly let me know that would be great, as it is important for us to keep track of customer satisfaction. Thank you

Customer:

thanks

Ben Jones : You are welcome