29905560

i have finished a contract offshore i was employed during

hello
i have finished a contract offshore i was employed
during the contract there was a bonus scheme
on contract it said if you leave before end of contract no bonus
i stay to end of contract
they send me a new contract
i do not sign contract as i have other work lined up which i organized before this 7 month contract
now they say i leave contract
i did not give them any agreement nor signature
they said i had to respond withing 7 days to accept contract
which i did not
where do i stand?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. So to clarify - you had one contract with a bonus clause and you stayed until that contract finished? They then tried to offer you a new contract to start after the end of the first one but you rejected it?

Customer:

yes i never sign renewal

Customer:

and do no more work for them

Ben Jones :

so the bonus was due on the completion of the first contract, regardless of any renewal

Customer:

yes on contract it says i must complete to end of my contract ie not leave

Ben Jones :

ok and how much is owed?

Customer:

job went on longer so they changing goal posts now saying it has to be till end of the job

Customer:

which could be years but on contract it states to end of my contract

Customer:

only 5000 - 7000

Customer:

but still its money owed

Customer:

do they need a signature to state i have renewed my contract?

Customer:

my acceptance in other words?

Ben Jones :

they need some sort of acceptance, it does not have to be a signature, it could be an implied acceptance, for example if you had started working under the new terms without making it clear you had rejected it

Customer:

i never went back offshore would this be good enough?

Ben Jones :

if you never started working under the new contract then you can certainly argue there was no acceptance of these new terms

Customer:

and phoned in saying i had other work

Customer:

but this was after the 7 day period they had written on the renewal

Customer:

as other worked had been accepted

Customer:

would they have not needed a wet signature or some sort of agreement confirmed from me?

Ben Jones :

no as mentioned a signature is not necessarily needed if you had indicated your acceptance in another way but this does not appear to be the case. Do do you need to know how to pursue this money?

Customer:

yes what is best route?

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Customer:

ok

Customer:

can you email it to me please as i have a call out

Ben Jones :

we cannot email customers but it will be on here in a few minutes so you can access it any time

Customer:

ok thanks bye

Ben Jones :

Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Ben Jones :

I hope this clarifies your position? If you could please quickly let me know that would be great, as it is important for us to keep track of customer satisfaction. Thank you

Customer:

ben which company do you work for if i wish to persue this issue?

Ben Jones :

we cannot take on customer through here unfortunately it is against site rules

Ben Jones :

so you need to do it yourself or find a solicitor independently

Customer:

ok thanks

Ben Jones :

you are welcome

Customer:

is it worth the hassle?

Customer:

how strong a case you think i might have?

Ben Jones :

you should certainly start with the letters in points 1 and 2 You could even make the claim and send a clear message you are taking this seriously - you can always withdraw it if you do not with to pursue it

Customer:

ok thanks for advise always a grey area employment

Ben Jones :

without seeing the contract and conducting a case analysis person to person it is impossible to say, this is just a Q&A site where we advise you of your legal position and your options, we cannot give prospects of success

Customer:

yes fully understand

Customer:

i would have to advise same if on other end lol thanks again

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'