29905560

Do you need to state a reason an employment

Do you need to state a reason for terminating an employment contract (12 month fixed-term paid internship) within the year? We intend to pay the intern one months notice in full but do not require them to work their one month notice period. Are there any other details we must include within written notification?
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Does teir contract allow for ealy terminaiton?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ben.

The contract wording is as per the below:

16.2 In the first 12 months of your employment, other than where the Company is entitled to terminate your employment without notice as set out in clause 16.1, the Company may terminate your employment by giving you one month's written notice. After 12 months employment with the Company, the Company may terminate your employment by giving you three month's notice in writing.

Many Thanks

Anne

Hello Anne, there is no need to state a reason for dismissal within the first 2 years’ of employment. You will however have to pay them the notice period stipulated in their contract, which in this case is a month. If you want to terminate their employment with immediate effect you need to write to them, advising them that you are terminating their employment as per Clause 16.2 of their contract and you are issuing them with the month’s notice they are entitled to. Tell them that you are going to pay them in lieu of notice and that this means their employment comes to an immediate end and they would not be expected to return to work. Be advised that you will also have to pay them any accrued holidays up to the date of employment. If the contract does not state that you can terminate their employment by paying them in lieu of notice you must also include the holidays they would have accrued during their notice period.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you