29905560

my name is ***** ***** , basically i work in travelodge as

hi my name is ***** ***** , basically i work in travelodge as a night receptionist , what really happened is that i slept during job because i had severe back pain and i was sick , i didnt sleep completely i served customers as well , my manager saw it through cctv but the stange thing what she did is that she showed it to staff and one lady who was not working and she was with her kids (they are probably 10 -12 respectively ) she also saw it and they all discussed even though they are just receptionist not part of management , this incident is also recorded , i dont mind being sacket its fine but i felt really bad when she showed it to other staff and kids i want to sue her she should have discussed with me or directly with managment , i ve worked for them for about 3 years ,
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve in this situation please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Basically i have an investigation today but i don't mind if they sack me or not , can i take a legal action against her / them ( manager ) that she showed cctv footage to people who are not part of management and neither are they allowed to discuss this sort of situation especially kids because i live in Newbury its a small town , this information can effect me in my personal life , kids might tell other people and this circle can soon take a big leap , i feel stressed and insecure and depressed

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately you cannot take legal action just because she has showed the videos to someone else who was not involved in the investigation. This is the case at least at this stage.
There may be a potential breach of data protection because you can argue that the videos amount to personal data as you are identifiable in them and that the employer should have kept those secure and not used them further than to what they were intended for. In this case it would have been just using them for the investigation and any potential disciplinary, not showing them to people not involved in that. However, the law does not just allow you to make a claim against someone because they have breached data protection laws. You must be able to show that you have suffered losses as a result of that breach. Currently you have not suffered any losses – you may have been inconvenienced buy this, it may have upset you, stressed you out, but these are not losses. It ha to be something financial which has been incurred as a direct result of that breach. So maybe in the future if you do not get a job because that employer has seen the video and based on that they have decided you are unsuitable, that is when a potential claim could exist. But until losses have been suffered you cannot just sue her or the employer.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether you need further help or if I can close the question? Thank you