taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I wonder could you advise me please? I have just had an extremely

I wonder could you advise me please? I have just had an extremely difficult year at work where I have been systematically undermined to the point where having had no luck in trying to resolve the problem through the correct channels I have felt forced to resign. I have found myself a new position and am currently working my notice. However I had started to feel ill and agitated and tearful. I visited my doctor who diagnosed that I have stress-related anxiety due to the last 12 months being extremely difficult. My Dr has subsequently signed me off work for the last week of my notice period.
The CEO at the company where I am working my notice has always been proactive and has always said he wants to hear directly any employee grievance. I do want to send an email to the CEO bringing to light my situation so that lessons can be learned for future. However I am absolutely terrified of the woman that was my line manager and I am concerned that should I bring my experience to the attention of the CEO that she will try and jeopardise my future employment. Is there anything she could do to harm my future career? ie contact my new employer? Please could you help as I really do want the business to be aware of my treatment as it has been an extremely traumatic time for me. In all my working life I have never experienced anything like it.
Any advice would be most welcome. Many thanks, Jayne.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Are you using this person as a referee for your future employer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jenny

No I am not using this individual as a referee. Apparently all references are provided by HR and are basic - this is company policy.

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hi it is highly unlikely in those circumstances that the manager would contact your future employer unsolicited.
If she did and said anything that is untrue and has an affect on you financially then you would be able to bring legal action against them/ the employer for negligent misstatement.
If you do decide to raise the grievance you can raise the concerns with the manager directly who will no doubt reassure you that she would not have the authority to do this.
If you have any further questions please do ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Jenny, you have set my mind at rest and I feel able to send the email now.

Best regards

J

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
No problem, all the best for the future.
Please do take the time to rate my answer and do come back to me in the future if you need to.