taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

On August 25th I e mailed my manager that my father had a stroke

Customer Question

On August 25th I e mailed my manager that my father had a stroke and I was needed to help look after my brother who has special needs. This was a lie as the truth was embarrassing, my father since the death of my mother has had a hard time coping with my brother as he can be violent, I didn't think my employer would give me time off for this reason. I took 6 days off work. My husband had a stroke a month later, I didn't take any time off work during this time. When I went to my appraisal meeting I stupidly thought I would say ( I had forgotten the e mail to my manager ) that my husbands stroke happened on the 25th August. That way I wouldn't have to talk about my family situation, my manager spotted the discrepancy and asked for an explanation I declined to give one, the meeting was
stopped and I was told to go home. My manager then asked me to supply proof of my husbands stroke on the 25th August, I am very worried I will be sacked
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for your employer for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
21 years with no previous of anything like this before
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Ok do you feel you can now tell the employer the truth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but I am concerned about suspension or the sack if I tell the truth. I have had one day off sick since for a tooth e traction so my sickness record is not great but not bad I am on a 50percent contract it's British Airways as cabin crew. I am concerned because I was laid sick pay is this fraud
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
But at the time you were not sick even under the version of events you told them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes they know I wasn't sick
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Ok in that case I would tend towards honesty, the more you try to lie to get out of the situation the graver the situation for you.
If you didnot call in sick in the first place you have not committed an act of fraud.
You should ask for a meeting face to face with your manager and explain everything and apologise but say you did not know what else to do in the circumstances.
If the employer does take action against you then you can appeal on the basis that there are mitigating circumstances and you have a good employment history.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did receive sick pay ??
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Yes you did receive sick pay but they put it through as sick. You did not say you were sick.
Does that clarify the point?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh I see yes thank you just a quick question I would rather e mail my manager then have a face to face meeting would you advice against an e mail ?
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
I think you will come across better if you discuss this face to face than an email if I'm honest with you. If you cannot handle a face to face discussion then you can, of course, email instead.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further I can help you with as I can see you have not yet rated my answer?