Experience:  30 years experience as a solicitor.
31090051

If an Office Bearer at a golf club makes a verbal intention

If an Office Bearer at a golf club makes a verbal intention to resign their position at a Committee meeting but the minutes of that meeting are not agreed thereafter, can the verbal intention be subsequently withdrawn and therefore continue in post?
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is the office bearer also an employee of the golf club?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, not an employee
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will opt out as I have just noticed you are in scotland, someone will pick this up.
Please do not respond as otherwise the question will come back to me and no one else will be able to see it.
Good luck.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a Scots solicitor and will help you with this.
Does the club have a constitution which deals with the appointment and resignation of office bearers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Has a constitution but the scenario I have explained is not contained within it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes there is a constitution which says that those demitting office cannot be reelected for one year. There is nothing to cover verbal versus written resignations nor anything on withdrawal of resignations. Also the minutes of the said meeting are not agreed and will not be signed off.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The minutes are only a record of the meeting. If as a matter of fact the member said he would resign at a particular date and that resignation was accepted by the other members in office then there is no reason in law why the resignation cannot be valid. It is a matter for the committee to decide at the end of the day.
Experience: 30 years experience as a solicitor.