29905560

I would like to know if I can be asked to attend hearings through

Customer Question

I would like to know if I can be asked to attend hearings through by my registration body whilst my GP states I am unfit for work. Also what will be expected of me at an absence management meeting with my manager.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is the meeting for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can my question remain private and not seen by others?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what is happening with the messages however in response to your previous question - it is a panel hearing with my registration body. They want to de register me for a year to investigate and allegation and a recommendation of a charge against me.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is a public site but one your query has been answered we can lock the question for privacy is that ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that's ok

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. The law is somewhat silent on this and primarily deals with requirements to attend workplace meetings. However, in your case you have been asked to attend a meeting organised by your registration body and this will really be governed by their own rules. Had this been a workplace meeting, where your employer was asking you to attend a hearing, for example a disciplinary or capability hearing then you can ask for a postponement until you are fit to return to work. In the interests of fairness they should allow that and not proceed with it until you have returned to work and are fi to attend. There are limited circumstances when they could proceed in your absence, such as serious issue of misconduct that need to be dealt with immediately or if there have been continuous failures by you to attend, but in the circumstances that should not be the case as you are simply signed off sick and as long as you have formal proof from a doctor to confirm that then it would require the employer to postpone this hearing.
However, as mentioned this is not an employer-led meeting, rather it is one requested by the registration body and there is a possibility they could go ahead without you because they would not be bound by the same rules that apply to your employer. You may of course contact them and ask for a postponement, citing the formal sign off you have and ask that they deal with this at a later date but legally they cannot really be stopped from proceeding with it if they wanted to.
As to what happens at an absence management meeting with the employer, this is usually an opportunity for them to discuss the reasons you have been off, and look at a way of moving forward. They could ask for more detailed evidence from health professionals, with information on what has caused the absences to date and the likelihood of future absences. The employer would then discuss these with you and consider if they can do anything to assist you with, such as making necessary adjustments, or see if they need to organise a temporary replacement, etc. There is no specific way to deal with these, it is for them to decide on that but the general agenda would be as described. You can ask them for more information prior to the meeting and can also discuss this at the hearing. You may of course ask if you need to prepare anything in advance.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether you need further help or if I can close the question? Thank you