29905560

I have a compeney van that i use to go to site with all

Customer Question

hi i have a compeney van that i use to go to site with all my tools as i am a kittchen fitter how much travling time do i have to give them . the van is only ues for work and is track . it tacks me 45 mins to get to the offies my contrack says i have to be at the offeis of on site for 8 and fines at 5pm but some times we may be over a houer away from home
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
This is somewhat of a legal grey area I'm afraid. As far as the law is concerned, a worker is only entitled to be paid for time which amounts to 'working time', which according to the Working Time Regulations 1998 includes ‘any period during which a person is working, at his employer’s disposal and carrying out his activity or duties’. As you can see travel time is not specifically included in there so it comes down to an interpretation of whether it can be included in this definition.
Guidance from the Government's Business Link advice service suggests that the definition of working time includes 'travel as part of a worker's duties', but would not include travelling to the workplace, unless the travel is undertaken following "booking on" or reporting to an assigned depot or booking-on point, or time spent travelling outside normal working hours.
So if you are required to travel to/from clients as part of your working day and duties and at that time you are entirely at the employer’s disposal, you can certainly argue that this time constitutes ‘working time’ and should be taken into account when calculating your remuneration and count towards your working hours.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ben I leave home at 715/730 each day and get back sometime after 6pm most days and the company are pulling people in regarding gettin to site after 8 can thay do this or as I give them over 1 1/2 h a day am I in the right to say there being unabl resalable

Not necessarily. For example if your contract states your place of work or where you need to report to and you need to be there for a specific time then it is up to you how you get there and how long it takes you I’m afraid. You would have accepted the contract based on these terms and therefore it is your responsibility to ensure you are there on time and arrange your time/travel according to that.