29905560

My former employer hasn't paid me last ten days and

My former employer hasn't paid me for the last ten days and deny telling me how much I should get after I return the travelcard which the company paid for. The outstanding amount on the travelcard is incorrect, if I return it I fear they make up some numbers and don't pay what I should have received in April.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for and were you contractually due to be paid by now for the work you mentioned? Also is there a specific policy about the travelcard return and refunding money on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your response. I've worked there for over six years and I should have got paid. There is no clear policy since the travelcard was part of benefits from the previous company before we got tuped over

This potentially amounts to an unlawful deduction from wages, which is made illegal under the Employment Rights Act 1996.
Under law, an employer can only make deductions from, or withhold an employee’s wages in the following circumstances:
• If it is legally allowed (e.g. to deduct tax);
• If it is to recover an earlier overpayment of wages made by the employer;
• If their contract specifically allows for the deductions to be made; or
• If the employee has given their explicit written agreement for the deductions to be made.
If none of the above exemptions apply, the deductions will most likely be unlawful. In order to try and resolve this, the employer should be contacted in writing, advised that this is being treated as unlawful deduction of wages and ask them to pay back the money within 7 days. Advise them that if they fail to pay the money that is owed, legal proceedings could follow.
If the employer does not return the money as requested, the following options are available:
1. Employment Tribunal - the time limit to claim is only 3 months from the date the deductions were made. To make the claim, form ET1 needs to be completed and submitted - you can find it here: https://www.employmenttribunals.service.gov.uk/employment-tribunals
2. County Court – this is an alternative way to claim and the advantage is that the time limit is a much longer 6 years and is usually used if you are out of time to claim in the Tribunal. The claim can be made online by going to: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.
Hopefully by warning the employer you are aware of your rights and are not going to hesitate taking further action they will be prompted to reconsider their position and work towards resolving this.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you