29905560

May I ask you again? I've emailed my former employer advising

Customer Question

May I ask you again? I've emailed my former employer advising them to pay me as it is illegal not to do so like you advised me but they ignored this explaining that I have a debt with them and they will engage their employment lawyers and also charge me interest on the amount. What shall I do next?
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What debts do you have with them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's the travelcard I have which has been a benefit for 6 years but the employer hasn't paid me for the days I've worked. After consulting with you I asked them to pay within the next seven days but instead they will have their lawyer send me a letter

So is there a way of proving whether you actually owe anything on the card?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By the date it was taken out which they gave me a cheque for but there is nothing in the company policy since the benefit has been part of TUPE. They have no leg to stand on but I don't want to end up paying fees. Thanks

Ok I will get back to you later today thanks
Hi there, whether you have a debt with them is a factual issue – you either do or you don’t. It depends on what policy was in place, whether it can be shown that you had accrued debts, etc – you say they have no leg to stand on so if that is the case then they will probably not win against you. If they were to make a claim then this will go in the small claims court- each side pays their own costs there even if they lose. So you will not be required to pay their legal costs even if they were to win. Also this is not a commercial debt so they can’t really charge interest either.
So you have the right to pursue them for the money owed and should not necessarily be phased by their threats, they are likely only making them to put you of from claiming against them.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether you need further help or if I can close the question? Thank you