taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I am being made redundant but am having to train someone else

I am being made redundant but am having to train someone else in my team to do my job. This person has not been under consultation at all and is going to also show another person (also not under consultation) how to do what i am currently doing so my role is being added on to their responsibilities. Is this allowed and do i have a responsibility go train the person up? I have been told there are fewer opportunities being found so there is no longer a requirement for my job, however by having other people doing it as part of their job, i feel it is still therefore required. please help, Jo
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just over 6 years

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Ok did the other person do the same job as you? Have they said why they are making you redundant and not the other person?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The other person does not do the same job as me but some of my responsibilities were already in their job description and i never knew this, partly as they never performed those responsibilities and i always did them andbi hadnt seen their job description until recently. The other part of my role (finding new tenders and opportunities) has never been part of their role and the reason being given for redundancy is that there are not enough opportunities out there any more. I am having to train the person up to look for new opportunities and do the bits that are stated in their job description that they are currently not doing. They have just said that the other persons role is not up for consultation.

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me whether you would be able to do the other parts of that persons role?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Techically i probably could, they are a business writer and i have in the past written bits for tenders but they have much more experience than me now as their role is mainly focussed on business writing, i originally went for the job over a year ago and they got the jobs over me. Our roles are quite different though.

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry for the delay I sent an answer earlier and I don't think it has got to you.
In the circumstances you describe I think that the employer is entitled to make your role redundant. This is because a redundancy occurs when the need for a person to do a job ceases or diminishes.
If the roles were interchangable then you could argue that your colleague should also have been put at risk but because the roles are quite different you will struggle to run an argument of that nature.
I am sorry that this is not the answer you were hoping for but it would be unfair for me to give you false hope.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.